Sunday, March 2, 2014

Masterpiece Essay

                                What Is My Piece to Master?


I was always one of those kids that would bounce from one interest to another. I've had a few different hobbies and interests growing up, but there was always an underlying theme and interest that was incorporated in whatever activity it was. I have always enjoyed building and helping others to help themselves. Leggos were my absolute favorite toys growing up, and even now when I get bored. I would build anything from a spaceship to a roller coaster. I had the broadest imagination, thinking of hundreds of ridiculous purposes for whatever inanimate object I was trying to depict. I have a mind for seeing a problem, fixing it, and preventing it in the future. This trait I owe to my father. He is a licensed contractor and the manager for the housing authority in Lompoc, overseeing projects for special housing. For years I have worked with him around the house or at work, and every time we fix or build something I get more motivated to pursue a career where I could make my community a better place to live and to create something of my own design. Its the best feeling to be able to put an idea into action and see it serve all the purposes you could imagine.

This past June of 2013 I along with fellow students and parents traveled to Uganda Africa for two weeks on a volunteer trip. It was simply amazing to see such happiness and pure joy in the midst of poverty and hunger, I wanted to understand why. It was because they are accustomed to so little, that they truly appreciated everything they did have. What is sad is that these kids are misunderstood, they don't need a "10 cents a day" donation like you see on every commercial break, what they need is a person to talk to; compassion. I made the comparison of the children in Africa, to juvenile delinquents here in America; both may not have the best past, but they all have the potential for a bright future. That is why I also have a great interest in Child Psychology and to be able to work as a counselor in Juvenile Halls. I enjoy digging deep into peoples minds and figuring out just why they do what they do, and to provide wisdom and clarity to an uncertain time in their life. If a person needs help to help themselves, they should have it regardless of who they are.

From building cities to building futures, I also have an interest for mechanics. Just last week my car had a window problem so my dad and I took the door apart and now had the mystery of discovering what the exact problem was. We believed it was the motor, but it was really an electrical short in the wiring due to water getting in (my fault). I enjoyed seeing the anatomy of the door and it only sparked a greater interest and curiosity in just taking apart the whole car, but that was out of the question. I was always amazed by how so many parts can work in unison to create one moving body of metal. Of all the things that could go wrong, they rarely do. Probability wise it is just simply amazing how reliable these hundreds of parts are when working together. Taking things apart and putting them back together again, better than before, always was an interest of mine. So now I have a third possibility thrown into the mix.

At this time, I still have no definite plan for a major or career, but I do have paths of inquiry and that is all I really need. I know my passions, my interests, and my abilities, and I just want to do something that I truly enjoy and has a purpose in the world. With that requirement and an old Chinese saying in mind, I never want to "work a day in my life". So the question remains, what piece of myself should i master?

No comments:

Post a Comment