Thursday, October 31, 2013

Filter Bubbles

After watching the video I learned that the internet really does a lot more than it says it does. It was shocking how invasive they can be, but it is amazing the lengths they go to to improve efficiency and overall satisfaction.
This has changed the way I look at information because now I see it more as the internet showing what they think I want to look at, instead of simply opening up the world. I feel like I'm being used whenever I go on to the internet and that my thoughts are a product I'm selling for free. I don't want a filtered world, I want an open one for what it really is.
This video raises questions like, "Just how much do they really know?" and, "What makes my searches so important.? Why are mine just like all the others?".
I agree with Loren's method of improving my searches by choosing search engines that only give me the information I search for. I don't want to be cataloged and put under a category as another oblivious "consumer". I want to be a consumer, using a free service for what it really is: an open door to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment